If you’re thinking about hiring an SEO expert for your website, you may be wondering, “What do SEO experts actually do?”
That’s a fair question – if you’re paying for services and you have the right to know what is going on behind the scenes, and without a bunch of technical jargon to confuse you.
Let’s take a look at what search engine optimizers (SEO’s) do.
How do SEO experts help?
When you hire an SEO for your website, they should be taking care of a few essential tasks for you. These include:
- Setting the SEO foundation for your site. One of the first things an SEO should do when you hire them is to go through your website and analyze all the technical and on-page SEO elements. They should identify which areas need to be built out more and which areas you’re already doing well in.
- Keyword optimization. Once the SEO has a good grasp on how your site is performing currently, it’s time to address any open items and start doing some keyword research. Once they have a list of keywords you should target, they should start optimizing your site to appear in the search results for those keywords through things like content additions and title tag/meta description updates.
- Ongoing optimization. Once the SEO expert has set a good foundation for your site, the work doesn’t stop there. They should be optimizing your site every month to continuously improve and strengthen the quality of the site and help you improve ranking, traffic, and conversions for your site. Ongoing optimization might include:
- Content additions
- Link building
- Conversion rate optimization (Call-to-Action buttons, etc.)
- Internal linking
- Schema markup
- Basic site updates and revisions
- Reporting. The SEO should report on everything they’re doing with your site and what the effect of those actions are. If your SEO has access to analytics data, they should analyze that data, report to you about it, and make optimization plans after dissecting and interpretation of the data. This all should be done in a way that’s easy for you to understand.
Make sure your SEO gives your site value
One of the most important things you can do as a client of an SEO expert is to ask questions. Asking questions will not only give you a lot of insight into how your website is doing but also if your SEO is knowledgeable about the industry and is providing real value for you.
When your SEO expert reports to you monthly, be sure to look over the report before the meeting or call to understand what is being conveyed in the report. It would be most beneficial to come up with two to three questions about the data so you fully understand which direction your website is headed.
Contact WebFX for expert help
If you don’t have an SEO expert working on your site or you’re unhappy with the one you do have, WebFX can help. We have over 200 internet marketing experts that can help you achieve amazing results for your website.
We are vigilant in making sure we perform all the duties we listed in this article and more – in fact, we measure our success by how much we WOW you as our client!
Contact us today to learn more about the marketing services we provide and get a custom solution catered specifically for your website and the overall growth of your business.